Shopping can be stressful. Don’t believe us? Try to buy ink and toner. That’s why we wrote this article!
We’re sure that you are a savvy shopper and do market research before making any major purchasing decision. Ink and toner can be a costly monthly expense if you aren’t making informed purchasing decisions. No matter your device, there is ink and toner on the market for you; finding it might be the hard part.
You can buy ink and toner in person and online through dealerships, big box stores, specialty suppliers and more. We will list some of the places you can find ink and toner and some of the pros and cons of where you purchase it.
Option 1: Buying Ink and Toner at a Copier or Printer Dealership:
If you bought your device through a dealership, this dealership would also be able to sell the proper ink and toner for your printer. We always recommend going to a local dealership to purchase your ink and toner for your device.
Pros of buying from a dealership:
- You get personalized service and have many buying options to acquire your ink and toner.
- When purchasing through a dealership, you will have endless product options, so no matter what you are looking for, then the chances are that the dealership will carry the product.
- All you need to know when buying through a dealership is what device you have, and a rep will ensure you receive the perfect product.
- You can be confident in your purchase because you know the ink and toner will be a quality product, and be guaranteed that it works in your device.
- If you run into an issue, dealerships have return policies that ensure you will receive a refund or a new product.
- Dealerships often offer in-store buying, via the phone through a representative or online, so no matter your preference, there is an option for you.
- You can have your product shipped directly to your house or place of work.
Cons of buying from a dealership:
- There may be a higher price point for ink and toner purchased through a dealership because you are buying authentic and genuine products.
- There may be long lead times depending on the product that you need.
Examples of dealerships you can buy ink and toner from:
We here at Office Interiors offer ink and toner via our online store or through our supplies representative. We are a dealership that services all of Atlantic Canada with over five different locations.
Option 2: Buying ink and toner through big box stores
Long gone are the days of printer ink stores on every corner, but they’ve been replaced with big box stores and the occasional specialty shop. We recommend always purchasing through a reputable store.
When buying from a big box store, you should already know the exact toner or ink you are looking for.
Pros of buying from a big box store:
- Products may available based on availability per store
- There is no lead time between purchase and acquisition
- Most big box stores have return policies within 30 days
- Cons of buying from a big box store:
You need to know the exact kind of ink or toner before going into the store, the store representatives will not be experts on your device.
- They typically carry a limited variety of ink and toner and basic printers and accessories. Stock may be limited in-store.
Big box stores you can buy ink and toner from across Canada:
There are many big box stores available across Canada. Some specialize in technology, while others carry a wide range of products. Here are some examples of big box stores that carry ink and toner:
- Best Buy
- The Source
Option 3: Buying ink and toner through local specialty shops
If you don’t want to purchase ink and toner through a big box store but would like to still buy in person, we recommend checking to see any local ink shops near you.
Pros of buying through local specialty stores:
- You are supporting a local business
- Products are available the day of when purchased, and there is no lead-time
- Will most likely carry a wider variety of product when compared to a big box store
Cons of buying through local specialty stores:
- When buying through specialty ink stores, be aware that some only offer refill options and do not carry actual brand-name ink and toner.
- These may not be compatible with your machine or void your warranty, always check your device’s warranty information in advance
- Call the store beforehand to ask what brands they carry so you can be sure you are buying a quality product.
Option 4: Buying ink and toner through an online marketplace or retailer
When buying online, there are a plethora of options at your fingertips. A quick google search will display thousands of options for you to purchase ink and toner online! Before buying online, you should be 100% certain about the type of ink or toner you need for your device and whether you want an OEM cartridge.
Pros of buying ink online:
- There are endless options, so no matter what your price point is, there will be an option for you
- The price of ink and toner will be more cost-effective compared to buying through a store or dealership
- Shipped directly to your house or place of work
Cons of buying ink and toner online:
- Most online-only retailers won’t detail if you are buying a replacement unit which means you cannot always guarantee that the ink or toner is what you are looking for or what you think you are purchasing.
- Return policies can vary depending on the online retailer. Since ink and toner are particular to the model, this can cause headaches down the line.
- Some online retailers will only provide returns or exchanges with unopened boxes. If you buy an incompatible cartridge and you don’t realize this until after you’ve tested it in your device, you will not be able to receive a refund or a new cartridge.
- You have to wait for the product’s shipping, which can change depending on where you purchase it.
If you must buy your ink and toner online, we recommend going to a reputable online store like a dealership or one of the big box stores we listed above.
Examples of online suppliers:
While there is an endless supply of ink and toner options that can be found through Amazon, this also leads to a more considerable risk of buying an incompatible product. If you are set on buying toner and ink through Amazon, be 100% sure about the type of product you need. Also, be sure to read reviews and confirm the seller’s return policy if anything should happen.
There are other sources to buy online like inktoneroutlets.ca, 123ink.ca and myprintershop.ca. Once again, we emphasize that these dealers may have a lower price point, but you need to be very careful when verifying the quality of the product you are ordering.
We may be a bit biased, but we believe that purchasing through a trusted local dealership is your best bet. You can have confidence in your purchase while supporting a local business.
If you would like to learn about where to buy ink and toner in your region, reach out to one of our supply representatives today, and they would be happy to help!
Digital Content Specialist