Payroll & Benefits Specialist
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Office Interiors and our sister compan50y, Cabco Communications, are long-standing, Maritime-based companies that operate on a clear set of values showing our commitment to our People, our Customers, our Environment, our Communities, Safety, Results, Integrity and Growth. Since 1991, Office Interiors has been providing Atlantic Canada with modern office equipment and is the only dealership in Atlantic Canada providing our customers with a complete offering of furniture and technology. Cabco Communications is the longest-running (40+ years), independent communications infrastructure provider serving the Maritimes. Our track record can be directly attributed to our team’s experience, enthusiasm and commitment.
As our Payroll and Benefits Specialist, you would be team-focused and share our vision and growth strategy. You will have a background in pay and benefits and an interest in taking on full responsibility for two unique companies in a fast-paced, results-driven environment. Excellent communication, organization and time-management skills are required. You will report to our Chief Financial Officer and will be responsible for two distinct payroll and benefit plans, and supporting all relevant programs, following payroll and employment regulations.
If you have a positive, “can-do” attitude, are self-motivated and want to work in an environment where you can take ownership for your individual results, this is the place and role for you. You should be passionate about contributing to your community and developing long-term mutually beneficial working relationships.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Payroll management and processing
- Managing the administration of benefit plans and eligibility
- Acting as the main point of contact for employees and managers concerning all payroll and benefit inquiries
- Managing new hire setup process, absence tracking and departure processes
- WCB payments and administration
- Year-end reporting, and tax filings in compliance with all regulations
- Commission calculations, bank reconciliations, lead program management, wellness program tracking, other accounting responsibilities as required
- Supporting our CFO and Manager of People and Culture with other responsibilities as needed
- Strong attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- High level of integrity, confidentiality and accountability
- Strong organizational and prioritizing skills
- Ability to respond in a timely, confident and sensitive manner, even when under pressure
- Strong customer service skills and ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- The ability to work in a fast-paced and occasionally high-pressure environment
- The ability to multi-task and prioritize competing deadlines
- Initiative and the ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team
- Desire to identify and recommend opportunities for continuous improvement
- Post-secondary education in business or a relevant field or equivalent education and experience
- Minimum 3-5 years payroll and benefits experience
- Strong computer skills/proficiency with Microsoft Office (O365 preferred) including strong excel skills
- Payworks or other payroll software experience
- CPM, PCP, and/or CEBS designation would be an asset
- Accounting knowledge is an asset
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Bonus program
- Three weeks paid vacation
- Wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Reimbursement of professional memberships and job-related training
- Internal development programs
- Employee discounts
- An amazing team and company that lives its core values of our People, our Customers, our Environment, our Communities, Safety, Results, Integrity and Growth
- A beautiful office environment in our brand-new state-of-the-art building, including a roof-top patio with a harbour view and free parking!
If you are interested in being part of our growing companies, driven by innovative technology and a goal to be the best at what we do, please forward your cover letter and resume to:
Manager of People and Culture
656 Windmill Road
At Office Interiors and Cabco, we are committed to an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported and free from all types of discrimination and harassment. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. We feel it is important as an organization to have a team that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we work, live and play.
Our people are our most important resource. We treat everyone with respect and dignity, we hire the best and reward based on performance. At all levels of our organization, we foster integrity, progressive and innovative thinking, and encourage the pursuit of personal and professional growth. One of our primary objectives is to provide an engaging work environment for all our team members and to recognize and reward those who demonstrate a successful performance.